3.17.2009

I'm back. Hey.

I'm back from the depths. It's a long, non-interesting story of where I started and where I ended up, so I'll make it quick: I basically took, head-on, my biggest professional proposal project ever. It required a river of blood, sweat, and tears in addition to countless hours of my life that I'll never get back to actually enjoy...but it's over. And the end result was damn good.

It came down to the very last minute, too. I'm a department of 1 person, so everything was on my shoulders to get it done. After having 80-hour work weeks (and weekends) for the last month, it all came down to today: I had until 8 am this morning to finish my business proposal (all 24 proposals, 800 pages each) as they were to be shipped off to the Department of Transportation at 8 am, no questions asked. I literally finished at 7:59, literally 7:59 this morning--an absolutely beautiful morning at that, as shown below.

What a Monday/Tuesday, what a conclusion...I worked non-stop, and I mean NON-STOP from 7 am Monday morning til 8 am Tuesday morning. 24 hours of too-busy-to-eat-or-pee, panicky, frenzied HOLY-CRAP-I-have-no-time Jessie Spano-like-anxiety during the final production moments. I wish there was some type of surveillance camera footage that showed the billions of things I did in a very small window of time. I bet I looked similar to ants building an ant hill. Anyway I documented the end via iPhone since I budgeted the extra minute to allot for picture documentation. Click the pics to make them bigger:

7:59 am Tuesday, March 17th




You can see a few samples of those bitches/the proposals that I wrote in less than two months (constructed and produced in less than one LONG 24 hour shift). While it was my biggest undertaking EVER [ate away at my sanity and forced me to have a hunchback and crossed eyes from sitting endlessly in front of a glowing computer all day, every day]...I must say that I love those proposals. They proved something to me. I now know for a fact that I'm capable of anything I put my mind to. I can so do it. And I did it.

And that feels real good. I'm in charge of my career. Finally.

Anyway. I've been listening to some new music in an effort to ease (or atleast numb) work-related stress and self-doubt (work-related and otherwise).

I've come up with some winners you might enjoy:

Anyway You Choose to Give It - The Black Ghosts
Georgia - Jaguar Love
The Tape Song - The Kills
Shh - Donora
Section 8 City - Andrew Bird
Come As You Were - The Bird and the Bee
The Park (Feist cover) - Bon Iver

Okay...I'm going to sleep. For a long time. Rumplestiltskin-style.

I'll be back to normal soon. I won't be going back into the office anytime soon.