3.18.2009

Disposition.

Funny little word. What's your disposition?

I was walking down the sidewalk on a grey, cloudy day, en route to get a haircut. It was way too long, too uninspired. As I was walking, quietly humming to the melody of Eric Bib's "Shine on," minding my own business. I passed this young, black kid. Probably 12. He was carrying an instrument case of some sort. I guessed a saxophone.

I noticed his face. He was looking straight ahead, head held high, mouthing a song, a smile stretched across his face. His teeth were so white. He didn't even see me somehow, he was so caught up in his own world.

Or, should I say, his metallic blue Shuffle was rocking his world.

I loved what happened next. He looked up to the sky and sang "heyyyyy ya"...bounced the next few steps. His free hand was banging the beats out on an air drum.

Great song. Great disposition.

It was such a sight: unabashed happiness. Completely unabashed. It was a beautiful thing. And I loved every second of it.

I couldn't help but smile as I passed him by. Envied him a little. I wish I was that happy. Maybe I will be? Or maybe I won't care so much about the things that make me less than happy. Maybe from now on I'll walk down the streets singing a song. Whatever song I wanted, too. Bouncing every step. Sure, people will notice. And perhaps they'll change their disposition to that of something better. Just like that kid changed mine.

Thanks for that, kid.

My new disposition: shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Shake it.



Music:
Eric Bib: Shine On
Outkast: Hey Ya!