8.23.2011

i think i just saved my own life, possibly countless others.

by being a dick.

you heard me right.

so, it's noon-ish. i'm eating lunch. my patio doors are open.

(my patio faces the entrance to the building i live in.)

i'm sitting, eating, enjoying...then i hear someone say "hey!"

and not a nice hey. a rude hey. i liken it to a crass NY'er yelling at a taxi that braked late into the crosswalk. "hey! i'm walkin here!"

anyway, this hey immediately grates on my typically infallible nerves.

so i turn around and some older guy is peering into my patio window.

sick.

my new guard dog bella goes to the patio door and gives him a soft woof.

"woah there, fella." was his response.

admittedly, i'm somewhat charmed by his old-timey expression.

so, giving him the benefit of doubt, i walked over to the patio door and performed an up-and-down assessment of the old timey charmer. that would be his name, i decided.

eep, too soon - i'm no longer charmed.

he look-a-like-a-creep.

slightly annoyed with his creepiness and already knowing he's going to waste my time, i slowly raise my eyebrows as to signal to him to warrant his hey.

**by the way, from the mere 2 seconds i looked at him, i automatically assume him a serial killer. the old-timey charmer is now his serial killer name. here is my best recollection of his appearance:



PS the man in that picture is a serial killer. coincidence?

-in his hands he had what looked to be a dvr device wrapped in a plastic bag.
-he was wearing a neon yellow vest - much like a road construction worker.
-he was also wearing beige dockers with a matching button-up.
-he had a nightstick attached to his belt.

=???

i didn't like what was before me.

he began to ramble about being a technician that is installing something in the "insert random neighbor's last name here" and that he got locked out. he appeared frustrated and in a hurry.

i continued to look at him, mostly in fear and significant doubt, then quickly assessed my options. i could:

1) buzz him into the building and let whatever happens, happen. my deadbolt was bolted after all.

2) continue to ask him questions like a detective would, however it was raining and the raindrops kept hitting the patio floor then splashing onto the inside floor as well as my feet. i didn't like that.

3) say no and walk away.

i chose option 3.

he immediately became hostile. "whaddaya mean you're not going to let me in!?"

i walked back over.

sir it's against association policy to let people in this building unless they are my personal guests or city authorities. i don't know you. i'm not letting you inside.

"gimme a break kid, i just told you what i was here for!"

i'm not a kid, although i do appear youthful. still...the kid thing was the final nail in his coffin.

sorry, sir, no can do.

*shuts patio door

i like to think i did this building a favor. you all have your heads! as far as i'm concerned - he was going to cut them off and dislplay them in some secret cave full of...heads.

i'm a hero.

and you're welcome.

and i'm not a kid.