10.14.2009

the nanner is back yall. for us in the east and midwest, it's appropriately titled goodbye fall. these songs make me think of overcast days, leaves falling, and the nostalgic smell of days past. i love this time of year, even though it's a bit chillier than normal.

i chose the following songs for the following reasons:

blur - i think the lyrics to this song are pretty hilar, but the melody and tone of brit's voice is revealing, makes me recall my own blurred moments with that intoxicating beat. love it. there's no sense in acting like we're perfect, angels from above, and this song reveals our mistakes, while at the same time going on with life without missing a beat. my favorite part: i think i need an aspirin.

between the sheets - let's face it...being between the sheets on those cold, overcast, fall weekend mornings is one of the best moments life has to offer. you know where to find warmth. it's almost magical, so when it happens, revel in the moment of being between the sheets. it just doesn't get any better than this.

game for fools - what's funny about this selection is that i've had this song for years on my itunes, as a part of lidell's album, but anytime it would shuffle on i would get immediately annoyed and skip over it. to me, i think the first 5 seconds sounds whiney and therefore i'd skip it to save myself the torment of listening to someone else woe and boohoo other than myself. but just recently i let it play and holy eff - this song is incredible. did you want to make out right now or what? perfect little love song.

don't let me down - i'm not a huge jt fan but i'm pretty entranced with his part in this song. i also keep near a "don't let me down" attitude when it comes to love. so far, no luck. i need a hero, too.

monster love - okay, i know goldfrapp is...different. but can you honestly listen to this song and not feel something? this song makes me feel alive and it has stimulated some of my deepest thoughts about this life of mine. the whole cd is a trip, literally. everything goes around, bringing us back again.

it's all your fault - pink is a genius. yes, she's had her overplayed pop moments a la so what but she's capable of so much more. this song has a catchy piano part and the lyrics seem to have come straight out of my head. i'm sure if i search long and hard enough, i could find a blog posting where i talk about how it's all your fault because you started it off with a compliment i couldn't resist. and of course you had to be perfect. it wasn't fair. and it still isn't. you're off living your life and i'm still clinging to that damn compliment.

languishing - i'm not the biggest mariah fan in the world, but when i heard this intro to i wanna know what love is it stopped me cold. the song is so eloquent and petite, it's mariah but not mariah. plus, languishing is such an interesting word, right? the definition being to lose vigor, health, to have a desire for something or someone who is not present. we have all been there. what a sad feeling encapsulated in such a beautiful melody. congrats mariah. this is it.

don't let me stop you - i'm not really sure why i chose this song. don't get me wrong, kelly clarkson is a major part of my trifecta (kc, brit, kathy griffin) but this song isn't necessarily my favorite. there's just something about the melody that captures my attention. it's a little hard, but i find solice in its soft spots.

take off your cool - you might remember this song from my youtube video. this song is perfect. simple melody, simple words. baby take off your cool, i wanna see you. that, in essence, is my approach to finding love. cut the bullshit, show me who you are sans how cute you think you are or how much money you claim to have. take it off. i wanna see you.

doesn't mean anything - forgive the regis and kelly appearance, i just found the live version of this song to be pretty amazing. love alicia keys, love this song, and i'm sure i'll love her new album. this song provides a little extra kick in my step. chin up.

hanging on too long - who hasn't done this? this feeling is so universal and relatable. perfect post-breakup song. plus, duffy's one-of-a-kind voice gives me chills as she reveals her complacent role and false hopes. but then again, duffy could probably sing about taking a shit and i'd still be mesmerized.

show me - this song is one of my all-time favorites. there's no beating it. first, john legend could sing to me for 24 hours a day without a complaint. like duffy, his voice is one-of-a-kind. but this specific song and melody is inescapable. every time i hear it i can't help but imagine dinner sitting on the table while we slow dance on the kitchen floor in the dim setting ambiance of our love.

teach u a lesson - first off, if you don't own this album, you are doing yourself and your love life a disservice. just listen to the lyrics and you will have your honey in a compromising position in no time. robin is perfect.every.time.

untouched - the original version of this song was a little too hard, even though i love it and the veronicas, so when i came across this acoustic cover version...i was like hells yes. this girl has an amazing voice. who she is or why she doesn't have a record contract are both unknown to me. amazing interpretation, right? untouched and i need you so much. i know that feeling all too well.

good morning, hypocrite - last but certainly not least, electric president. i'm not sure if anyone but me listens to ep, but this group has some of the weirdest music that makes me enter an entirely new and unseen world. their music is like none other, their voices, their interpretation of sound and percussion...it will flip your shit. good morning, hypocrite blends so many unique sounds and ideas--the world is your oyster and this song will get you there. trust me. most people will hear it and think wtf but when i hear it i think wtp (what the possibility).

thanks for listening. and enjoy.