3.26.2009

I know I'm going to catch some flack about the following statement, but it's just what I think:

I think the Olympics are completely unnecessary.

I just don't get the Olympics. I don't get the source for sheer spectator craziness over the Olympics. Personally, I couldn't tell you the last time I purposely watched the Olympics. It doesn't do anything for me. At all. Regardless, I don't get the hoopla, I don't get the sense of awe or fascination, I just don't get it. Yes, you run fast. Yes, you swim fast. Wow, you can do a backflip. Cool.

Nice job. You are all very athletically-inclined. Congrats.

Let's move on with life.

Would anyone really care (besides the athletes) if the Olympics didn't exist? I wouldn't.

Chicago is competing in the last rounds for a bid to host the Olympic games in 2016. I, on the other hand, am seriously thinking about joining the sizable protest against the Olympics. And my reasons for protest aren't specifically due to the fact that "I don't get the hoopla." Here's the reality: Chicago has a crumbling education system, a completely flawed and bankrupt public transit system, the highest sales tax in the country, a potential increase in income tax, a corrupt political system, the streets are crumbling, crime is at an all-time high, taxes are rising, and many Chicago peeps are broke, jobless, and/or in need of public aid. Does Chicago have it sights on fixing any of these issues? No, we don't have the money. Does Chicago care about the Olympics? Yes, and it will invest money it doesn't have to eventually turn a profit in the year 2017.

It's 2009. What about NOW?

Don't you think it would be wiser to spend public tax dollars and the city budget on ACTUAL issues rather than bragging rights and (eventual) increased tourism? Plus, where would anyone park in this city when downtown meters cost almost $3 an hour (a strategic effort by the city to make more money)?

This city is a joke. Lets spend all of our time and energy in investing over 4.8 billion dollars into fixing up Chicago as an Olympic host city just to make an (eventual i.e. accounted for in the year 2020) seven billion dollar return. Let's overlook the needs of Chicago citizens now and instead accommodate the needs of Chicago tourists in the future.

It's like painting a turd and charging people to look at it.

Give me a break. Down with Daley.

Down with Games Protest. Next week in Chicago. Google it for more info and join if you agree.